I will be changing my buying and reading habits when it comes to books. Yes, this is one of those things that I always say, and never do, but I need to change. My goal when I started reading again was to get a nice collection of fantasy/sci-fi that I could be proud of. I have succeeded in this goal. Now is the time to read all the books I own. I have been thinking often about how to change my bookish habits and I feel like I’ve found a good middle ground.
- I can only buy a book that I will read and start the day I buy it. This means:
- I can no longer buy books that are later in the series than I am currently at. No more collecting books I am not on yet, even though I will read the series eventually.
- Books I have already that I want to read more than the book I want to buy will take precedence.
- Starting that book on the day I get it will improve the excitement of book buying.
- No more used book buying unless it is the book I am on and will start it that day.
- Even though a coupon or sale would technically save me money on a book that I will read in the future, I must pass up the opportunity.
- Read all of the graphic novels I own before borrowing any graphic novels from the library. Limit 1 graphic novel out at a time.
- Read 1 large book, 1 small book. Small book is anything under 400 pages.
- My goal is 100 pages read a day. This is attainable but varies greatly on the format and complication of the text.
- 2016 goal is to read 70 actual books. A book is either a fiction or non-fiction book and excludes graphic novels. This is a soft goal and not something that should give me anxiety.
Get rid of books that I will not reread or books I rated below a 4 unless it is a series I love.
The reason for this change is two fold. 1. I am running out of space and 2. I want to have less unread books in the future. It will take me years to get my TBR low but I have to try now.